The New Zealand Council of Homeopaths (NZCH) is a registration body which upholds the professionalism of homeopathy in New Zealand and provides support to its members.
Registered members belong to a team of dynamic and passionate health professionals who are committed to providing a high level of quality care to their clients.
Members must practice according to the NZCH Code of Ethics and Rules of Practice, maintain a valid First Aid certificate and commit to ongoing professional development. Practicing certificates are issued each year which confirm the practitioner has met the required standards of work and professional development.
To become a member, visit the NZCH website (www.homeopathy.co.nz) for the current requirements and to download the required documents.
Governance of NZCH is very straightforward. There are currently five executive members and president who are elected at the Annual General Meeting, for a two-year term, with a maximum of three terms, and a Secretary.
The executives volunteer their time and energy to support their members and to ensure homeopaths are seen as professional, qualified and safe health care practitioners.
Their role is wide and varied, including providing information to members to support them in their practice, developing strategic partnerships with other professional bodies, providing professional development opportunities, promoting research and working with educational institutions to ensure there is a future for homeopathy in NZ.
For example, they are in regular contact with the College of Natural Health and Homeopathy in Auckland.
They also are in close communication with the Australian Homeopathy Association as well as International Council of Homeopaths to keep up to date with international activity.
The Executive updates members on legislation changes and guidelines laid out by the government as well answer questions that may arise from this.
There is also a well laid out complaints procedure which is followed should a client or colleague lay a complaint against a registered member.
The executive, with support from NZ homeopaths, offers its members a bi-annual homeopathic conference featuring both local and international highly experienced homeopaths. The funds raised are a main income for the NZCH along with membership fees.
While NZCH is a professional registration body, the Homeopathic Society is a charitable organisation dedicated to raising awareness of and supporting the growth of homeopathy amongst the public who hold an interest in homeopathy.
The collaboration between these two organisations has continually grown and the long-term goal is to be under one national homeopathic umbrella, while retaining independence when needed.
The main question asked of the NZCH by homeopaths is “Why should I join, pay an annual fee and what do I get from it?” That question should be “What can I, as a homeopath, do for my homeopathic community in NZ to ensure we present as a strong, united and qualified team of professionals?”
Having said that, you do get a lot for your membership fee. Below are some of the key benefits:
- You belong to a professional body providing credibility to your clients and potential clients.
- You may use the NZCH logo on all your marketing material and advertise the fact that you are a registered homeopath.
- As a newly qualified homeopath you will initially be an intern for one year and be offered a senior mentor for that year. This service is free and you will have the opportunity to brainstorm ideas, learn about how to manage your clinic, improve your marketing and handle difficult clinic situations, as well as learn from some of our most senior practitioners.
- You are eligible to attend the biannual Australian conference at a discounted price.
- You are eligible for a discounted fee for indemnity insurance.
- You will have the support of the Executive in dealing with any day to day issues in your practice.
- You can promote your business on the directory page of the NZCH website, providing a key marketing opportunity.
- You have access to the ‘members only’ area which holds plenty of tools such as marketing material, guidelines to build and maintain a thriving homeopathic practice.
- There are numerous opportunities for education and further your professional development through online lectures and workshops.
- You receive regular updates on legislation, events, case studies and other important information, as well as a bi-monthly newsletter.
- You have opportunities to network online with other homeopaths around the country through a closed FB group.
- NZCH supports communities in times of need through various initiatives which you can be part of.
- You can participate in regular zoom support pods, or learning focus groups, which have been formed for interested members. The pods involve groups of 8-10 homeopaths from all regions of NZ, with a mix of experience, who connect online for an hour every few weeks. The pod team leaders also meet and so the information shared in each individual pod is conveyed to all. This has been invaluable and much appreciated.
- As of 2023 we will be offering a subsidised supervision service to our registered members.
Hopefully this brief overview has highlighted the work the NZCH Executive volunteers do for the homeopathic community and why it is important that you support the community and belong to this fabulous group of passionate homeopaths. We hope to welcome you on board.
Your Exec Team